Monday, January 30, 2012

Slow Cooker Success!

The Slow Cooker and I have a love-hate relationship so far. I would LOVE to use it more, but I HATE that nothing has turned out they way I wanted... until now! I was determined to get something right in the slow cooker, and decided on pulled pork sandwiches and homemade fries. There are a ridiculous amount of pulled pork recipes out there but after a lot of searching I found one simple enough for me. I found mine on foodnetwork.com my go-to site for recipes.

Pulled Pork
4lbs boneless pork shoulder (although mine said boneless, I found one while shredding the pork)
Spice rub (I used paprika, pepper, garlic, salt, use any rub you have)
Sliced onion (I used 1/2 red onion)
Enough water to cover pork
Allow 7-8 hours to cook on LOW (mine cooked for 7.5)

Oven Fries
1 russet potato per person
1-2 T olive oil (I never measure)
salt, pepper, garlic powder
cook in 400 degree oven, flipping once until golden brown.

WARNING: once you make these fries you will never be able to go back to frozen fries, so be prepared.


Put the lid on the slow cooker and DON'T PEEK! at least not for the first couple of hours, so you don't lose heat.

About 35-40 mins before you want to eat wash and cut the russet potatoes into wedges. Toss with olive oil and spices and place on foil lined baking sheet in 400 degree oven.


After 15 mins be sure to flip the fries otherwise they'll stick to the foil. Return to the oven and cook until as brown & crunchy as you like. Try to time the fries to come out right before you want to eat, they are best when hot out of the oven!



Fish out all of the pork from the juice, get rid of the fat and slightly shred the meat.
 (mine pretty much fell apart with little to no effort) Add your favorite BBQ sauce, toast buns, and top with cheese.


I totally forgot to take a picture before digging in, at least you know that means it tastes AWESOME!


This recipe is 100% Husband Approved, Justin couldn't wait till the pork was on a sandwich to try a bite.

As some of you know last February I did a February Photo Challenge (one picture a day for the whole month) I wanted to keep my tradition alive although I needed something that involved less time since the baby is on the way, but still challenged me. My February Challenge this year is to cook 1 Slow Cooker meal a week, and blog about it step-by-step. So here's to February, hopefully I will improve my relationship with my slow cooker and eat some good food!

No comments:

Post a Comment