Tuesday, May 17, 2011

A sewing project

Today I decided that I was going to sew something using the beautiful batik fabrics originally intended for a quilt. I have stared at these brightly colored fabric scraps many times an have never had an idea of what to do with them. Today I stared at them once again with absolutely no idea, then while texting my mom I decided...
 To make a place mat, but not just any place mat. A rollable picnic place mat with a silverware pocket. So here is the How-to...

First I started by cutting 6 inch squares of each fabric, and then I sewed together six of the squares to form one side of the place mat.

I also added a felt heart and hand-stitched the edges.

Next I attached the front of the place mat to the back...

On the back of the place mat I stitched a pocket with a place for each piece of silverware.

On one side of the place mat I stitched two equal lengths of ribbon  used to secure the place mat when rolled.

How it looks all rolled up

The finished products, I made two place mats to take on picnics. My favorite is the one pictures on the top, I used all of my favorite pieces of fabric on it. I officially have sewing fever! and am looking for any excuse to pull out my sewing machine.

NEXT UP: Salt Lake adventures with Marty and Wendy Abbott

No comments:

Post a Comment