Friday, February 3, 2012

Slow Cooker Challenge: Week 1


I knew trying to find a recipe I waned to try for the slow cooker would be difficult but I didn't think it would be this hard. I am kind of a picky eater, at least compared to most average Americans. My mom was not fond of certain foods and I therefore I am pretty biased too. I almost never use red meat (poor Justin) or fish, and try to use fresh ingredients as often as possible. I was browsing Pinterest one night and found a recipe for slow cooker macaroni and cheese. This is the recipe I used and here is my version.

1 1/2 Cup Milk
1 12oz Can Evaporated milk
1/4 Cup Butter (half a stick melted and brought to room temp)
3 Large eggs
1/2 tsp. salt
3 Cups shredded Fontina cheese (I used Cheddar)
1/2 Lb. Elbow macaroni (boiled for 5 mins only)
1/2 Cup Parmesan cheese
pepper and other spices


I started by shredding the cheese, I bypassed the grater and went right for the food processor (my favorite kitchen gadget)

Spray the slow cooker or grease with olive oil then mix butter, eggs, milk, salt and evaporated milk and whisk till smooth.

Add the cheese (not Parmesan) and the noodles and mix to combine.


Top with Parmesan cheese and pepper (and other spices if you want) Cook on high for 30 mins. Switch to low and cook another 2-2 1/2 hours. The original recipe says that it should only sit on warm for 30 mins, I have no idea why but I'd follow it anyway.

When it was finished mine had quite a bit of oil or grease sitting on the top so I grabbed a paper towel and mopped all of the excess up. After that I browned about 1/2 cup of panko bread crumbs with a touch of olive oil and spread over the top of the macaroni.


My macaroni didn't quite look like the picture I had with the recipe. It made 4 really good sized portions, good for having people over! Justin said he'd give it an 8-9 out of 10, and then said he might want to change it to a 10 out of 10. Needless to say Justin put his stamp of approval on the recipe. I would give it a 7-8, I felt like it should have been more creamy. My favorite part was the really cheesy parts. Although I liked it I would probably still go with Kraft (even though it's terrible for you) because the prep and cook time is a lot more convenient.  All in all I would have to say another slow cooker success!

No comments:

Post a Comment