Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Slow Cooker Challenge: Week 4


This week was a turning point for me and the slow cooker, I actually looked forward to using it this week! I found this awesome recipe on Pinterest which linked to this Blog with quite a few recipes and mouth-watering pictures. When I told Justin I was making ribs his eyes lit up, he might have even started drooling a bit. I can't recall having ordered ribs before, I would definitely be intimidated to cook them without an easy recipe like this.

The recipe was adapted from: America's Test Kitchen Slow Cooker revolution

1.5 tbsp sweet paprika (I used smoked)
1 tbsp light brown sugar, lightly packed
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
S&P to taste (about 1 tsp each is what I used)
2 lbs pork baby back ribs (I had 2.4lbs) - leave the membrane on the ribs to help hold them together
1 cup barbecue sauce (I used Sweet Baby Rays)
Vegetable oil spray.


Mix together brown sugar, cayenne, paprika, salt, pepper, rub both sides of the ribs.


Spray the inside of the slow cooker with vegetable oil. Place the meaty side against the crock pot with the thicker end on the bottom. Top the ribs with BBQ sauce and cook on low for 6-8 hours ( I did 7 1/2 and I think they would have been fine at 6 1/2-7) I added a few tablespoons of beef broth to keep everything moist.


Remove the ribs from the Slow Cooker and pour the sauce through a strainer into a small saucepan. Reduce about 10 mins ( I added a bit more broth and bbq sauce)


  Brush sauce on bone side and broil for 3 mins, then flip and repeat on meaty side. Be sure the rack is about 10 inches away from broiler so the sauce doesn't burn.


Cut ribs apart and serve extra sauce on the side, with your favorite side dish. When I asked Justin what we should have with the ribs he immediately suggested homemade french fries.


Justin definitely enjoyed this dinner! He Mmmmmmmm-ed all the way through the meal, and said they were better than Famous Daves (what an awesome compliment!) He also said that he didn't think that we would be eating this good this early in our marriage. The ribs fell right off the bone and tasted wonderful!!! I was very impressed with myself. Our meal costs less than 15 dollars for both of us, which is less than you would spend at a restaurant for the same meal. So go on, make ribs at home and impress everyone!

COMING UP: baby's room, and countdown!

No comments:

Post a Comment