Friday, February 17, 2012

Slow Cooker Challenge: Week 3


So here it is week 3 of my challenge and I haven't gained the love for slow cooking that I thought I would. It is still hard for me to pick a recipe and to plan starting the cooker into my day. I chose this weeks recipe because it was made with simple ingredients, most of which I already have on hand. I found the recipe in a taste of home cookbook, accompanied by a full page picture of what it should look like. Here is the recipe tweaked to my liking:

Chicken Saltimboca
4 Chicken breasts
4 slices deli ham (I used 8 since mine were really thin)
4 slices Swiss cheese
1/4 C flour
1/4 C Parmesan cheese (grated)
1/2 tsp each of Salt & Pepper
Vegetable oil
1 can of Cream of Chicken soup (condensed, undiluted)
1/2 C Chicken broth

Hot Cooked Rice

Combine flour, Parmesan cheese, salt, pepper and set aside. First Butterfly chicken breasts and pound out to 1/4in thick. Lay a slice of ham and cheese on each piece and roll tightly securing with toothpicks. Roll each breast in flour mixture (the original recipe said chill for 1 hour, I didn't have that kind of time... I skipped right to the next step) Brown chicken in oil on all sides and transfer to crock pot. Mix soup and stock and pour over chicken. Cook 2 hours on High (Original recipe said 4-5 hours on low, but I was on a time crunch) until meat reaches an internal temperture of 170 degrees.


So here is the finished product, it wasn't as perfect as the picture in the cookbook. Justin tells me that it doesn't always have to be perfect... I think it should be.


 We shared our slow cooker meal with two of Justin's friends from California, Mark & Brian. All of the Boys really enjoyed the meal and had only good things to say. I liked it quite a bit more then I thought I would. I was weary of the cream of chicken soup as a sauce since I can't recall ever having it before. I think this recipe would be a great back-up freezer meal if you took the time to prep the chicken and combine the soup and stock. Another successful meal made, now we're looking forward to our slow cooker ribs.

No comments:

Post a Comment